Keep it Secret


"...when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." (Matt. 6:18)


   Years ago I went on a fast, but did not tell my wife, but rather choosing to make it a secret from anyone. I just so happened that a day or two later that she desired on of her favorite quick-meals: bean burritos, extra cheese and no onions. Due to my fast, I ordered nothing. As we drove down the road she asked me the inevitable question, "Would like some of this burrito?" My answer was a simple "No thank you." This was repeated several times until she began to wave said burrito in front of my face, telling me just how marvelous it was. It was at this time that informed her that I was fasting, which caused her to feel quite guilty. Looking back at I can clearly tell you that it was funny then and even funnier now (at least to me.) And, I learned an important lesson about fasting. When you occupy a home with others, you should probably let someone know that you are fasting so that you might avoid scenarios like this.

   This begs a question: Do we sometimes share too much? We live in an unprecedented time where we are connected with people all over the world instantaneously. The advent of social media allows us to connect almost seamlessly to friends and family world-wide. We share conversations and photos, commentary, what we are doing and what we are eating (I'm guilty). As social media has evolved, the pressure to put on our "best face" has led many to share things that are not meant to be shared. Although there are many things that might fit into this category, I'm speaking specifically about fasting. 

   The Bible tells us that there are occasions for public or corporate fasting, where everyone is somewhat aware of the action. However, most of the time fasting is a personal and inward discipline that furthers a believer's spiritual life. The Bible tells us that fasting was never meant as a public spectacle to draw attention to our own spirituality. Jesus warned, "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven." (Mt. 6:1) True fasting is always God-centered. (see Is. 58).  Jesus went on to say that when we fast we should do so in such a way that no-one else notices so that our only audience is God himself. (Matt. 6:16-18)   

   I have been planning on writing this post now for nearly a year, but never found the right moment as I saw people whom I know sharing on social media about their fasting attempts. My intent is not to call-out or rebuke anyone but to merely call for some biblical correctness in our journey as Christians. Our walk with Christ should be evident to those around us, but we are not called to wave our spirituality around like Olympic athletes after winning gold. If we want God to bless our fasting, then He must become our one and only audience.

  

*Image borrowed from https://examine.com/nutrition/erd-sneak-peek-could-fasting-help-treat-ms-symptoms/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Waste Your Pain

Dependent Upon God

Biblical Apprenticeship