Strange Doctrines


"As I urged you upon my departure to Macedonia, remain on at Ephesus so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines."

- 1 Tim. 1:4 (NASB)


  I am a teacher. I have had the wonderful privilege of conducting kids crusades, serving in youth pastoral roles, associate pastoral roles, as a church planter, and a pastor. Currently I have the privilege of serving a great church in rural Texas. In addition, I am pursuing my Ph.D in theology, and I write Sunday School curriculum and teach in a school of ministry within the fellowship that I serve. In all these things, teaching the Word of God is my passion and what I do best. Why am I giving you my resumé? Years ago my wife and I planted a church in Texas. The same message that Paul was giving to Timothy was one that the Holy Spirit implanted upon my heart. Although I pastor another location now, the calling has not changed. I am called to teach sound biblical doctrine.

   The verse above is the one that the Holy Spirit used to confirm His plans for us planting a church. Paul's instruction to Timothy is relatively simple: instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines. The Greek term that the NASB renders as "strange" means, quite literally, a perversion of truth that is to be rejected. The Gospel message was being perverted by those within the church community who were teaching a false doctrine. The Word of God is the basis for all truth in spiritual matters. However, all people do not see the same thing when they look at Scripture. I have said for years that, at least in biblical settings, a half-truth is worse than an outright lie. The reason is simple: An outright lie is much easier to recognize than a perversion that is coated in truth. A half-truth has just enough truth in it to be believable, but enough lie to condemn the soul who swallows it.

 We now live in a world of WebMD, Facebook, and Wikipedia. (No, I am not receiving any endorsements for this free "advertising") This technology gives us access to limitless information and the (relative) freedom to say anything we want. In my estimation this is a double-edged sword. Just because person X states some position does not mean that person Y is uninformed or ignorant, and yet this is precisely how social media and the internet work in general. Any person, myself included, can spout off any idea and it is taken as fact. Let's be honest friends, without naming names, there is plenty of strange doctrine that is taught as truth under the disguise of Christianity. Paul wrote,"But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!" (Gal 1:8, NASB) Those are tough words, but I did not write them. 

   I believe that we are going to see more and more "strange" doctrines come down the pipe. I realize that there are many who want "strange doctrines" for they feed their pride, sooth their evil spirits, or remove responsibility for their actions. For those of us who have a genuine heart for God, the only way we will be able to discern the truth from the lie is to be so familiar with he truth that the lie stands out like a sore thumb. In 2016, let's make it our collective determination to line up every teaching, sermon, seminar, model, and idea against the Word of God. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Waste Your Pain

Dependent Upon God

Biblical Apprenticeship