It Does a Body Good

"like newborn babes, long for the pure milk of the word..." - 1 Pet. 2:2 (NASB)

   For the last few days I have been physically sick. I have been confined to bed rest while recovering from fever, coughing, etc. I also have had great difficulty seeing. My vision is fine, but the nature of this illness has brought such discomfort to my eyes that the intensity of light and stinging sensation has made it difficult to keep my eyes open for more than a few seconds at a time. Needless to say, reading has been near impossible. Since reading has been put on hold for a couple of days, I have not been able to read the Word. Yes, I know that technology has made things much easier. I have apps on my devices that will "read" the verses to me. Furthermore, I can always find a preacher on television (no comment). However, it is just not the same as placing my eyes on the living Scriptures from the LORD. Once a person learns to take in the Word on their own, there just is no substitute. With this said, I have had a spiritual appetite that has not been satisfied. 
   Notice Peter's choice of words, "long for the pure milk of the word." As a "city boy," I have never tried it myself, but I am told that milk fresh from the cow is the best tasting. Over time we have developed processes that allow us to preserve milk for a longer period of time. Nevertheless, milk, unspoiled by human hands, has an unforgettable taste. The Word of God, unspoiled by human hands, is just as good. As a pastor and teacher I am 100% for helping people to learn how to read, study, and apply the Word of God for themselves. Like anything else, there is inherent dangers in turning a new believer loose in the Word without guidance. However, once a person has learned some simple guidelines they can begin to enjoy the Word fresh from the LORD Himself.  
   My hope is that each of you who read these posts "drink" for yourselves, but history has shown that many Christians do not engage the Bible outside of church services. Let me encourage you today to dive into this great treasure that God has given to you. Shut off other things that distract, change your schedule, upend your priorities, do whatever you have to do to make time for the Word of God. You soul needs it. There is a commercial that came out several years ago that went simply, "Milk: it does a body good." I wonder if Peter will ever receive credit for that line...
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Waste Your Pain

Dependent Upon God

Biblical Apprenticeship