Another Generation

"...and there arose another generation after them who did not know the LORD, nor yet the work which He had done..." - Judges 2:10 (NASB)

   As I was reading this passage of Scripture one single thought came to mind: Why? Why did the succeeding generation not know the LORD and all that He had done. The Israelites saw the LORD perform incredible miracles during their deliverance from slavery in Egypt, in His supernatural provisions for 40+ years, and in His mighty presence going before them in defeating the inhabitants of the "Promised Land." How could a generation rise up that did not know God? It's simple: they were never told. We could debate the possibilities of other reasons that this new generation rose up apart from God, but the most obvious reason is the simplest one. The generation that died failed to pass on the most important legacy. If you continue reading in the chapter you will find that the next generation, turned their back on the commands of God and worshiped idols. And honestly, why not? They do not know any other way to live. No one told them any different. Ultimately, they end up becoming prisoners of some of the same people God has originally promised to drive out before them. 
   As I contemplate this, I am reminded of my own responsibility to raise up a family that both knows God and all that He has done. It is my duty as a husband and father to make sure my kids know about Jesus. It is not the pastor's responsibility to teach my kids about Jesus, it is mine. And if I pass off that responsibility to someone else, there is a great chance that the task will not be carried out. In addition, my responsibility does not end with my family. As a Christian, I have the responsibility to tell others who God is and what He has done. Guess what? It is your responsibility also.
   We should not be surprised at the actions of the next generation if we remain silent about the LORD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Waste Your Pain

Dependent Upon God

Biblical Apprenticeship