Spirit Living

"If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit." - Gal. 5:25 (NASB)

   In recent weeks I have not posted as regular as has been my custom. As many of you know, much of the postings that I share come straight out of my time alone with God. In many cases, the insights I share are still turning over in my own heart and mind even as I post them. For the last few weeks, the LORD has been speaking to me concerning the area of Spirit living, but has not released me to share those things here. In the future, I believe I will be sharing much more in regard to this necessary area of our Christian walk. However, today I want to share a simple and yet profound truth.
   In the verse above, Paul is concluding some thoughts on living by the Spirit as opposed to living "under the law" or living as natural/carnal men. It is as this point that he makes powerful statement, "If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit." The "if" is for dramatic purposes, for Paul is writing to believers in Galatia. Believers, by definition, are those who have experienced the new birth as a result of faith in Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. This new birth is not natural or carnal, but is spiritual in nature. The believers are now spiritually living entities. And, now that they have been made alive by the Spirit of God, the manner of their new way of living must be spiritual also. However, we find Paul perplexed. He was amazed at how many of the believers, after experiencing this new spiritual birth, were returning to the traditional way of doing things, the "religion" of old. They were once again returning to the place where they relied on their natural abilities, understanding, and living. Paul reminds the believers, if you will allow me, that their natural/carnal abilities did not bring them spiritual life, so relying on their natural/carnal abilities will not retain their spiritual lives. All spiritual life comes from God. We are made alive by the Sprit of God, and we remain living beings by the same Spirit.
   Whether we are talking about the new birth in Christ, or the new way of living in Him, the only way life happens in believers is through the power of the Holy Spirit. We cannot emphasize this too much. The reason I failed in my own walk with Christ in the past was found with me. I relied on my understanding and abilities, and I failed. Even now I am reminded of the prophet's words to Zerubbabel, "'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts." (Zech. 4:6, NASB)  God wants us to succeed, just not in our own power, but His. It is then that the LORD will receive all the glory and honor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Waste Your Pain

Dependent Upon God

Biblical Apprenticeship