Knowing Jesus


"…I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches…" (Acts 19:13-17, NASB)

   This is one of my favorite passages of Scripture in Acts. We do not know these guys' names, only that they were seven brothers whose father was names Sceva, a chief priest. They had been watching the miracles that Paul was performing and were awestruck. So, perhaps because their father was a prominent religious leader, they took it upon themselves to attempt some of the same miracles as Paul. However, their results were strikingly different. Whereas Paul was able rebuke and drive out demons, these seven men were driven out, beaten up and naked by the way, by the demon-possessed man. What made the difference? They had knowledge of Jesus, but Paul had a relationship with Jesus.
   There is a vast gulf between knowing about Jesus and knowing Jesus. The Bible teaches us volumes about who Jesus is, what He wants in this world and in our lives, and how to properly worship and serve Him. However, all this knowledge is pointless without a relationship with Jesus. Think of it in a different scope. I know of our former president George W. Bush. I have heard much of his life, both good and bad. I have seen him in action in political, national, and international events. Furthermore, he lives down the road a few hours from me right now, because he is a Texas man (a shameless Texas plug!) Furthermore, I can pick him out in a crowd, along with his wife, his mother and father, and brother. However, with all this knowledge, I do not know the man, for I have never personally met him. If I tried to walk right up to him as though I knew him, I would likely be met with resistance from his secret service protection. This is the difference of knowing about someone, and knowing them.
   You have likely heard this saying, "It's not what you know, but who you know." When it comes to eternity, this could not be more true. Jesus is not impressed with our knowledge of Him, He is looking for our personal connection with Him. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Waste Your Pain

Dependent Upon God

Biblical Apprenticeship