Fears Within


"…we were afflicted on every side: conflicts without, fears within." - (2 Cor 7:5, NASB)

   I love it when I am studying the Bible and happen to discover some spiritual gem that I managed to miss in previous studies. Paul is writing to the Corinthian church and shares some deeply personal revelations from his own heart. Among these are the trials that he, and those with him, have faced. Jesus told Ananias, before he went and prayed, that Paul that he must suffer many things (Acts 9:16). Paul, who previously persecuted the church, now has been and is suffering for the One whom he persecuted. In the verse above, Paul is speaking of events that took place in Macedonia. Although he does not elaborate on the specifics, he does tell us that their "flesh had no rest, but we were afflicted on every side…" As a result of this constant toll, fear developed in the heart of Paul. Paul was afraid!
   The term "fear" is found over three hundred times in the NASB Bible, and is used to describe several situations in the Bible. In relation to our understanding of God, fear describes an honor, reverence, and awe-filled posture in light of who God is, (Ecc. 12:13, 1 Pet. 2:17).  The term is used to describe the concern that a believer may have for the souls other believers and the lost, (Gal 4:11, 1 Thess. 3:5). Fear is also the natural emotional response in light of some perceived threat to our security or well-being, (Mt. 28:4, Lk. 1:12). In the context of the chapter, this is the type of fear Paul was dealing with. Whatever conflicts were present, they were threatening to Paul, and caused some fear to develop inside. However, the fear the Paul faced did not stop him.
   Fear is not a sinful thing. Fear is not sin, nor is fear the opposite of faith. Like any other emotion, fear can become out of control and bring many other problems, but fear by itself is not a sin. I have what would be described as arachnophobia, the fear of spiders. I have been known to jump and scream like a little child over them. Snakes, no problem; but spiders? You can have them. My fear of spiders likely goes back to my childhood days as I heard family members tell me about "deadly" brown recluse spiders hiding in shoes and toys. Today I am an adult and I still cannot stand the things. Does this mean I am sinning when I shiver at the sight of these ungodly creatures? No. I can tell you that I firmly believe that Jesus Christ is my savior and LORD, and I serve Him as faithfully as I am able. Someone might say, "Bro. Kyle, the Bible tells us that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Well, that verse is taken out of context. That principle is definitely true, but that is not what Paul was talking about when he said those words. Someone else might say, "Well, the Bible tells us that perfect love casts out all fear." That is true, in the context of our relationship with God, which is what John was speaking of.  We have no reason to fear God because He loves us and we love Him. Once again, the context if the verse is very important.
   You might think I am rambling a bit, but there is a purpose. I have heard people for years tell me that fear is the opposite of faith. I am sorry, but that is not true according to God's Word. I am not advocating fear, nor giving license for it. Fear is an emotion that can get in the way of action, but it can also protect us.  Nelson Mandela said, "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." I think there is a great parallel for us as believers. The man or woman of faith is not the one without fear, but the one who overcomes them through the power of Jesus Christ. If fear is anything, it is an opportunity for God's might power to be displayed.

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Waste Your Pain

Dependent Upon God

Biblical Apprenticeship